Guide for in-kind donations
Ragfinery Staff and Volunteers sort through an average of 5,000-7,000 pounds of donations each month to divert them from the landfill! The bulk of the garments being from one very generous donor, Labels.
To ensure our program is not overwhelmed, we ask walk in donations consist of only items on this guide. That donations are all clean, dry, free from any risks of pests and are good, useable condition. And know that we appreciate you thinking of us and that you are working to extend the life of textiles and supplies for the sake of our planet. Thank you! Large donations please call ahead 360-738-6977
Fiber Arts Supplies
- Fabric greater than 1ft. x 1ft. – limit 3 bags/boxes per donation
- Thread, embroidery floss, webbing, elastic, velcro etc.
- Functioning sewing machines, sergers, looms etc.
- Not currently accepting treadle or in-table sewing machines
- Yarn – limit 3 bags/boxes per donation
- Sewing, quilting, knitting, crocheting, embroidery, and weaving supplies, tools and notions
- Pillow forms, batting and fiberfill (polyfill)
- Patches, mending supplies, fabric surface design and dye
- Uncut sewing patterns
- Vintage lace and linens
- Table linens, curtains and drapery
- Handmade quilts (unfinished pieces and quilt tops as well!)
- Wool blankets
- Complete sheet sets in like new condition
- Duvet covers, small blankets
- Adult feminine clothing in good, wearable condition & only if it is 100% cotton, wool, silk, linen, cashmere, leather, bamboo, vintage or rare & unique. (We do not currently have the capacity to accept femme clothing that does not meet these parameters due to our large weekly pick ups)
- Adult masculine clothing in good, wearable condition
- Outdoor wear, hats, scarves, gloves, handbags, wallets, backpacks & bags in usable condition
What else can I do with my old clothes??
Unfortunately, recycling of garments is not as easy as large polluters & fast fashion brands want people to think. Threadcycle in Seattle is the closest program that recycles garments & the demand for blown in car insulation is only so high… We recommend donating items that we do not have the capacity to take to Y’s Buys (1224 State St) or Goodwill . And if you’ve worn & mended the garments until they are unusable… you’ve done a great job of extending the life of your garments! Keep on mending, making do & buying used