Call to Artists: 2019 Ragfinery Runway Challenge
Fables and Tales
Join us in our 5th annual Runway Challenge on October 19, 2019 at Settlemeyer Hall at Bellingham Technical College! Ragfinery invites you to create an upcycled runway-ready design based on your favorite Fables and Tales!
Where to Register:
Ragfinery 1421 N Forest St, Bellingham WA
Registration Fee: $25
**This year we are very excited to announce that artists can submit their registration with a request for sponsorship that will pay for the cost of registration and materials. Sponsorship spaces are limited so early registration is encouraged. We will also place a cap of $100 for spending on materials to ensure equity for all entrants.
By requesting a sponsorship you agree that it would be cost prohibitive for you to participate as an artist for this event. Sponsored artists will be provided a Ragfinery gift certificate of $100 and their registration fee, both paid for by a local sponsor. During the event their sponsor’s logo will be displayed during their walk down the runway. Pre-paid sponsorships are on a first come first serve basis, participants are allowed and encouraged to find sponsors that would like to be recognized for supporting local artists and Ragfinery’s mission to divert textile waste from the landfill and engage the community in creative reuse and mending. Contact email@example.com for more details.
- Contest is limited to 25 artists on a first come first serve basis
- Each entry must be based on a fable or tale
- Your entry must include at least three upcycled components made from post-consumer material.(Example: cloth salvaged from clothing, table linens, draperies or bedding would be considered an upcycled component. Fabric yardage would not count as an upcycled component).
- All materials used in your creation must be purchased exclusively at Ragfinery or already owned by you (exception: invisible fasteners such as thread and structural materials such as wire or cardboard)
- The cost of all materials must not exceed $100
- Each artist is responsible for providing pictures of all upcycled items BEFORE they are made into your entry. (Examples: photo of a jacket BEFORE cutting strips of leather off, photo of curtain before removing the trim.) This will allow for us to really showcase your creativity during the event!
- Each artist (and model if applicable) must attend the rehearsal walk through and be present the night of the event
People’s Choice and Ragfinery’s Choice
August 14th, 2019: Contest Opens. Entry forms can be obtained at Ragfinery anytime after this date until the number or artists is met
October 11th, 2019: Deadline for before photos and submission form to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off to Ragfinery
October 19, 2019: 3:00 PM REHEARSAL Artist (and model if applicable) must be present for a walk through rehearsal. 6:00 PM READY AND DRESSED for runway show! Bellingham Technical College, SettleMeyer Hall: 3028 Lindbergh Ave, Bellingham, WA
We can’t wait to see what you come up with!!